Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Outline

Tomorrow you need two copies of a typed, double-spaced, MLA formatted Statement of Intent outline.

FAQ:
Q. Do I have to analyze the effect of narration and dialect?
A. No, you need to acknowledge that you are using it in your pastiche and to what effect but you do not have to build a full scale analysis around it.
Q. Can I discuss more than four of Hurston's techniques that I am using in my pastiche?
A. Yes, but with the page limits it will be hard to give them the analysis they deserve.
Q. Can I analyze fewer than four of Hurston's techniques?
A. No. If you do not discuss at least four it will be difficult to prove the extent to which you have used Hurston's work as your model.
Q. What if I want to talk about something I did in my pastiche that doesn't fit perfectly into a specific technique?
A. The statement of intent's only purpose is for you to be able to discuss how you appreciated and mirrored Hurston's style and if you need to reach beyond techniques to do that, you can. Just be sure you have created a clear organization to do that with.
Q. I learned that you should have at least three sentences of analysis for every sentence of quotation. Is that accurate for this paper as well?
A. That is a great rule of thumb for a literary analysis but you will not have the space to do so for this paper. You should sink your teeth right into the heart of your argument and make it as clear as possible. This means cutting out a lot of the "fluff" in your language use and really limiting summary.
Q. Can I assume that my reader has read Their Eyes Were Watching God?
A. Yes
Q. Do I have to follow your outline format? I want to do more than two body paragraphs?
A. No. But just be very aware of your limited space for writing and the intense need for clear organization.

IOPs also start tomorrow - Stephen and Anna

Turnitin.com class id: 4911387 password: 1234

No comments:

Post a Comment